Call our quote line to speak to a qualified solicitor

0800 987 8156*
Send a message

*Call this mobile friendly number or your local branch

There is significant difference between the legal rights you have in relation to property, finance and children depending on whether you are married or unmarried. This is also the case for same sex partnerships. Many people mistakenly believe that if they live with someone for a period of time that they become a “common law” spouses and obtain rights similar to those of a married couple. This is not the case.

Cohabitation and children

Unlike being a mother of a child, fathering a child does not automatically give ‘parental responsibility’. Lacking the parental responsibility for a child means that you have no legal right to play a part in the life of your own child.

If your relationship has come to an end, you will not be entitled to maintenance  or any lump sum payment from your ex-partner or, but this will not be the case for any children you have together. Several issues may arise from the breakdown of your relationship which Kew Law may be able to assist with.  An example may be that one party may wish to sell the property which you may own jointly whereas the other may wish to remain in the property with the children.


You may be wondering what happens to a cohabiting couple’s property when a relationship comes to an end? The legal owner during the relationship will remain the legal owner.  The situation can become problematic when property is purchased jointly.

If your relationship has come to an end and you are concerned as to what will happen to your property that you may own or jointly own, contact us here or  call our mobile friendly number on 033 33 22 1000 or 0800 987 8156 to speak to a Solicitor.

How to avoid problems that may present themselves at a later date

To quote the boy-scout’s motto “Be Prepared…” If you are moving in with a partner, you should consider  entering into a Cohabitation Agreement. Similar  to a Pre-nuptial agreement, a Cohabitation Agreement will lay out a couple’s intentions regarding how property should be divided should the relationship end. Unlike Pre-nuptial Agreements, Cohabitation Agreements can be enforced by the courts. They are binding contracts.

Rather than viewing such an agreement has a negative approach to a developing relationship, taking these steps should be viewed as just confirming what you have already agreed formally and in writing. If the worst happens, arguments, stress and above all legal costs are minimized as both party’s intentions are clearly documented at a time when the couple are thinking objectively rather than while dealing with the inevitable emotional turmoil of a break up.

At Kew Law we have the knowledge and the know-how to best advise you on Cohabitation Agreements.  Call our mobile friendly number on 033 33 22 1000 or 0800 987 8156 to speak to a Family Law Solicitor.

What happens to my property after my death?

If you are unmarried and you do not have a Will then the intestacy rules will apply and your property will be left to your immediate relations. Your cohabiting partner is likely to be left without anything. If you wish for your partner to benefit from your estate then it is essential that you make a Will. Other than the benefit that you may or may not have conveyed to your partner through your pension scheme, your partner will not receive any benefits that would otherwise be paid to a spouse.

At Kew Law our Private Client department has the experience to prepare a Will that best reflects your wishes. Call our mobile friendly number on 033 33 22 1000 or 0800 987 8156 to speak to a Solicitor.

Solicitors in: Solicitors in South Woodham Ferrers, Solicitors in Sudbury, Solicitors in Halstead, Solicitors in Hadleigh, Solicitors in Chelmsford, Solicitors in Burnham on Crouch, Solicitors in Witham, Solicitors in Wickford, Solicitors in Maldon, Solicitors in Colchester, Solicitors in Braintree and Solicitors in Rayleigh

Please contact me

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Ask us a Question

Send us a message and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

Ask Us A Question

Attention! Have you been targeted by spam?

Cyber criminals are increasingly targeting victims by masquerading as law firms and financial institutions. Such activity is commonly known as phishing or spoofing. Click here for an example. If you are unsure as to the legitimacy of any unusual or suspicious emails received, please report to us on 0800 987 8156.