Apply for our solicitor apprenticeship

Our solicitor apprenticeship provides an alternative to the traditional qualification route through university and suits candidates who want to ‘earn as they learn’.

The apprenticeship scheme is aimed at post A-level students and is open to anyone who has the following minimum qualifications:

  • 5 GCSEs, including Mathematics and English- minimum grade C (or equivalent)
  • 3 A Levels (or equivalent)- minimum grade C

What’s involved

The apprenticeship takes 6 years to complete. During your first two years you will work towards a Level 3 Paralegal Apprenticeship. Working as a paralegal gives you the opportunity to decide if a career in law is right for you.

You will then progress to a Certificate in Legal Practice, set at Level 4 (equivalent to first year university study). We require all apprentices to complete this initial stage before transitioning onto the solicitor programme. The Level 7 solicitor programme is a big commitment that enables you to achieve your law degree as part of the path to qualification.

Solicitor apprentices must pass the SQE assessment to qualify as a solicitor. The apprenticeship includes SQE training, as well as all assessments. At the end, providing apprentices pass the assessment and meet the SRAs character and suitability requirements, you will qualify as a solicitor.

How our solicitor apprenticeship works

As an apprentice, your training and assessments are paid for by the apprenticeship levy fund.

The solicitor apprenticeship is a full-time role. 80% of your time will be spent working for the firm and the remaining 20% dedicated to learning the following:

  • Knowledge of core areas of the law, legal practice, and regulation
  • Ethics, professionalism, and judgement
  • How to process legal matters and transactions
  • Methods of applying legal knowledge and commercial judgement to produce solutions which meet clients’ needs
  • Deploying a full range of legal skills — including legal writing and drafting, case analysis, legal research, advocacy and interviewing and advising
  • Commercial awareness

At the start of the apprenticeship, you will likely work closely with support staff to learn the key processes of the firm. You will then progress to providing general assistance to fee-earning staff. When enrolled on the Level 7 solicitor programme, you will work more closely the fee earning staff and undertake varying degrees of client work.

We take on 2 legal apprentices each year.

Solicitor apprenticeship Image

Application timeline

November 23 – Applications open

February 24 – Applications closed

Early April – Interviews

Late April – Offers Made

August – A Level results – Offer Confirmed

September – Start apprenticeship

How to apply

Please note that application for September 2023 have now closed. Full details of the next application process for 2024 will be posted soon.


James Kew

Managing Partner

Email: [email protected]

Other routes to qualification at Kew Law

Kew Law is the perfect place to develop your legal career. Find out more about what we offer.

Solicitor Training Contracts For Non-Law Graduates

Get supported throughout your training while gaining valuable experience inside our talented teams.

Find out more

Solicitor Training Contracts For Law Graduates

Get supported throughout your training while gaining valuable experience inside our talented teams.

Find out more


Our dedicated pathway to qualify as a Licensed Conveyancer.

Find out more